Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Here we go....

"When Christ calls a man, He bids him come and die."
-Dietrich Bonhoeffer

     A call to die. I'm beginning this 40-day devotion journey with an open heart and an open mind. I heard some friends talking about how radically this book changed their outlook on their own lives. So...of course I decided that I just had to do it to see what all the fuss was about. :) The point is to us the Holy Spirit and His word to reveal to us what it means to die to ourselves so Christ can live through us.  So...here I go. I'm so excited to see Jesus manifested in and throughout my life. This a big commitment for me...I actually have about 4 books at home that I've started reading and just haven't finished. 
     Fasting. Denying yourself of something so you can focus more completely on God. I've done this before when my mom was in the intensive care. For the 2 weeks she was in there, the members of my church as well as myself, completely skipped a meal and spent that time doing nothing but praying for her complete recovery. It takes one bad experience to make you skeptical about doing it again. But I've decided that I can't let the past steer what my present is. I've decided that I want to fast from tv at work(hulu) and I won't be getting on Facebook but once a day. In addition to that, I want to use this fasting opportunity to do something healthy. I'm going to stay away from sweets and I've got to exercise more. I'm also going to continue to do my daily Fuel and the daily devotion from My Utmost For His Highest and my daily proverb. Maybe even some more reading. 
     I'm so excited for this...if you couldn't tell. :) I just finished a book called Boundaries. The main point of that book is to learn to have relationships; the most important being the one with Christ. So that's the number one thing I want to  develop more deeply. 
     I've signed my covenant!!! Let's do this!!!


Phil 1:6
Rom 6:11
Gal 2:20
Isa 55:10-11

1 comment:

  1. Yay!!!! :) Im going to have to look into this book next! I started reading 'Outlive Your Life' by Max Lucado..Ive had it for a week but finally started it today, I LOVE IT!! And, wouldnt you know, it has already (chapter one) talked about adoption and helping orphans and feeding the hungry.... :)Stick w/this girlie, only great things can come from it! Loves! :)

    ReplyDelete