Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Day 1::Take Up Your Cross

Matt 16:24

Deny Yourself           No selfishness
Take Up Your Cross        (Saying "Yes!" To Him)
Follow Him            Like Peter did
"The world has yet to see what God will do through one man whose heart is completely His." -Moody


  • Selfish ambitions, behaviors, attitudes, desires? I really have so many of those. I want the path in which I get more money. There are so many things/acts/thoughts to indulge in where there's no room for Christ: drinking, drugs, sex, judgement, just being plain mean. I have urges. Someone walks in my office with a mullet, I'm gonna laugh. He or she could be just the best person and an awesome friend and it really is so unfair for them to be treated the way they are in my mind only because of their choice of hairstyle.
  • I would love to say that I'm not a judgmental person, and I'm not when it comes to physical things like hair and clothes. But I do judge people by the people they hang out with, or by the words that come out of their mouths. And after I do that, its almost as if that past that I was a witness to hangs over them forever. I am also very impatient. I want it when I think I should have it. 
  • I suppose the only reason I have for being this way is maybe the way it makes me feel. I have a sense of pride and purpose when I see that other people don't. Maybe I hold myself higher. Pride.
  • I could start by, instead of judging, think of something positive about that person. And instead of being so impatient, I could start just breathing and remember God's promises about His timing is the only timing that's important. 
  • TAKE UP MY CROSS. Jesus had to do that very thing, literally, when he had to make that walk to Calvary. He was carrying with him every sin that every man would commit. I feel like Christ is asking us to do that same thing....only for our own sins. Sacrificing them all and learning to only do what He would have us do.
  • Is it worth it? I think its very worth it! The reward is an absolutely selfless life. And while I know that I will fall extremely short of that in this life, I'm gonna press on.
  • Matthew 16:24-27  Following Jesus is a true commitment, the risk of death, and no turning back.




Heb 12:2
Phil 2:5-8, 9-11
John 8:50
Phil 4:13

No comments:

Post a Comment