Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Day 2:: Hard Words

"This is a hard teaching. Who can accept it?"

Nothing is sugar-coated. He is who He is. He says that we can't hold anything/anyone above him. That is: possessions, money, boyfriend/girlfriend, etc. There's something that is blocking the way for the Holy Spirit to truly move in our lives. There's no bargaining; no excuses worth Him hearing. 
  • Did God shine any light on something that is occupying my heart in His place? Yep. And it feels like a wake up call honestly. I know that I used to have this thing about 'going with the crowd', and now that the 'crowd' isn't a part of my daily routine, things I do are much more private and done alone. I watch reality tv all the time. I facebook. I know that there are so many other things, but these are really starting to become a problem, both in my spiritual/emotional life and in my work life. I remember when I was so convicted of being in sexual relationships with guys who I didn't really care for. It was nothing more than self-gratification; completely and utterly selfish. With a little struggle, though, it suddenly became a thing of the past. And now, I feel so much closer to God.
  • I feel like my strengths are helping people with any problem or situation that comes along in their lives. While it is certainly a good thing, that can also come with a lot of pride. Sometimes I take a bow for someone else coming out of their sadness or their anger, when, in reality, the glory must go to God.
  • Entertain me. I think this culture is all about being entertained. Flashy lights, bands, the best technology. That's what draws people in. Nothing is ever "traditional" any more. Without the bells and whistles, I don't think a lot of people would even come to church.    At the same time, we feel that if they don't give me what I want, then they don't really need me anyhow. This culture teaches that if you don't like something, the easiest thing to do is turn the other way and go find something pleasing to our own liking. I'm guilty of that. Its the easiest thing to do. But I'm finding more and more that sometimes the RIGHT thing isn't always the EASY thing.
  • Hard words are a sign of God's love for me? Definitely. God gives nothing but positive criticism. There's nothing He does or says that is out of hate. It's pure, 100%, perfect love. And sometimes that's even hard to accept. I think it's because we are incapable of loving the way He does.
  • John 6:25-29   Wow. I'm gonna follow Jesus because He has the truth, and because his way is the way to live.


    Prov 3:11-12
    Heb 12:5-6
    Matt 19:16-22

    No comments:

    Post a Comment